Texas College Grants

The state of Texas offers a number of grant opportunities to students looking to further their education. These range from funding offered through the federal government, colleges and private organizations. Each grant carries its own deadlines, requirements and application rules that must be given careful attention. This helps the student have a better chance of finding the funding needed to pursue a college degree.


The Toward Excellence, Access and Success, or TEXAS Grant is offered to students who have enrolled in their first 30 college credit hours, are high school graduates and are awarded the grant within 16 months of graduating from high school. To be eligible, the student must:

  • be a Texas resident (parents must be also),
  • be enrolled in at least nine hours,
  • have an estimated family contribution of $4,000 or less.

The grant can be renewed if student meets requirements, including meeting academic requirements and eligibility requirements. Students will also have to maintain satisfactory progress in academics to stay eligible. Students should also apply as soon as possible, at least before March 1st. The application for the scholarship is completed at the same time the student applies for the FAFSA, the Free Application for Student Aid.

Hazlewood Act Exemption

This act provides for education benefits for veterans, children and spouses that equal up to 150 hours worth of tuition and fee exemptions at state run colleges and universities. Those eligible must meet the following requirements:

  • when entering military, be a Texas resident or declare Texas as his or home on Form 214,
  • be honorably discharged from the service,
  • serve under active duty for a minimum of 181 days, not including training,
  • not be in default on a federal or state of Texas education loan.

The funding is also open to spouses and children of a soldier who is totally disabled due a service-related injury, was killed in the line of duty or is listed as missing in action. Veterans who are eligible for the program can also transfer any unused hours to their children. They are eligible if they are:

  • residents of the state of Texas,
  • adopted or biological child, dependent, or step-child to veteran,
  • 25 years old or younger,
  • meeting academic guidelines at college attending.

A veteran’s spouse is not eligible to receive unused hours from a veteran.

When applying, a veteran must provide his or her DD214 form to show evidence of service and type of discharge from the military. Dependents have to get a letter showing evidence of education benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and evidence of the veteran’s death or disability status. This information can be obtained from www.gibill.va.gov, or:

National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
97000 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

The application for spouses and children can be found at: texas-veterans.com/education/hazlewood.

Lyndon Baines Johnson Foundation

The Lyndon Baines Johnson Foundation offers grant funding to several individuals, including graduate students. The Harry Middleton Fellowship awards a fellowship totaling $5,000 for the fall and spring term each education year.

The time periods for each grant are June first through December 31 for the fall session and January first through August 31 for the spring session. This funding supports the student to do research at any presidential library, National Archives or Records Administration system.

When applying, the application for the fall session must be received by March 15th, while those for the spring session must be turned in by September 15th.

Before applying, the student must contact the Lyndon Baines Johnson Library Archives Department to get information regarding availability of research materials. They also have to include information regarding what other facilities at the National Archives they intend to go to and the materials they will be using.

When applying, the student will need:

  • curriculum vitae,
  • lists of works previously published,
  • reference list,
  • research proposal,
  • contact information.

Application materials can be found here and here.

Education Training Voucher Program

This program offers a funding voucher that gives grant funding to youth that are currently or have been in foster programs to pay for a college education. The funding can equal up to $5,000 per school year to be used towards tuition, books and other school expenses.

In Texas, this program is run under the Texas Department of Protective Services, which can provide information on applications, requirements and deadlines. This information is available at the following contact information:

Shannon Ramsey
Transitional Living Services – Team Lead
Texas Department of Protective Services
PO BOX 149030
Mail Code W-157
Austin, TX 78714-9030

Texas Educational Opportunity Grant Program

This grant funding is for students who are currently attending a two-year college in Texas and are financially struggling. To be eligible for this grant, students must meet the following requirements:

  • be a resident of the state of Texas,
  • be able to prove financial need,
  • the family’s contribution cannot be more than $2,000 (if a first-time applicant),
  • be registered with Selective Service (if male),
  • be enrolled in a minimum of six college hours in the first 30 hours of the degree,
  • not yet received a bachelor’s or associate’s degree,
  • have no felony convictions or been convicted of a crime involving controlled substances.

The award totals the amount for tuition and fees for the program. In order to apply, the student will have to complete a Federal Form for Student Financial Aid. Once the award is given, the funds will be distributed through the specific school’s office of financial aid.

Charley Wootan Grant Program

This grant funding is offered to help financially needy students to pursue a college education. The primary funding is awarded to Texas residents, though some funding is awarded outside of the state. You must be a United States citizen in order to be eligible and must not already have received a bachelor’s degree.

When applying, you must submit a letter of enrollment at a school, a copy of a Student Aid Report, copy of transcript and other required paperwork. The grant may not be renewable for the next year, but can only be guaranteed for the first year of the award.

The awarding of the grant depends on the information obtained from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Information regarding the program can be obtained via www.aie.org/wootan/ or Wootan@scholarshipamerica.org.

Bureau of Indian Affairs Higher Education Grant

This Higher Education Grant is offered to students who have Native American ancestry in order to pursue higher education. To be eligible, the student must be a member in a Native American tribe that has eligibility for specialized services and programs offered through the Bureau of Indian Affairs.

In order to be considered a member of the tribe, the student must have at least 1/4 degree of descent from a blood relative. The student must also be accepted to be admitted to a university that is accredited and offers a bachelor’s or associate of arts degree. The student will have to provide financial need.

When applying for this grant program, the student will have to go through his or her tribe’s education office.

Fifth Year Accounting Student Scholarship Program

This funding provides the opportunity for those majoring in accounting to further their education. In order to be eligible, the student must meet the following requirements:

  • be a resident of the state of Texas,
  • be enrolled in a Texas college or university,
  • attend classes at least half-time,
  • be in the process of completing a minimum of 120 college hours the semester the award is being made,
  • meet the school’s academic requirements,
  • be registered for Selective Service (if male),
  • prove financial need,
  • have not yet taken, but plan to take the CPA exam for the state of Texas.

When awarded, the student can receive funding totaling a maximum of $5,000. The application can be found from the dean’s office in the accounting department at your school or at the school’s financial aid office. The award is given based on information at the school’s financial aid office. To learn more, visit www.tsbpa.state.tx.us and www1.thecb.state.tx.us.

Kenneth H. Ashworth Fellowship Program

This award program is open to graduate students who are currently enrolled in programs including public service, public affairs and public administration.

In order to be eligible for the program, the student must:

  • be a resident of the state of Texas,
  • plan to work in Texas after graduation
  • be registered with Selective Service (if male),
  • prove financial need.

The school the student attends has to be in the state and must be privately, publicly run along with being non-profit. Each award given is in the amount of $2,000 and the application is submitted by the dean of college at the school for public affairs, service or administration for two students. These applications must be submitted by February 20th.

For more information, visit www.thecb.state.tx.us or www1.thecb.state.tx.us.

Marine Corps Foundation Scholarship

Applicants for this grant opportunity must meet the following requirements, being the son or daughter of:

  • Marine who is on active duty, in the reserves or is a veteran,
  • Marine that has served a minimum of 90 days that was killed in line of duty, honorably discharged, or received a medical discharge,
  • Navy Corpsman on active or reserve duty that is currently or was attached to Marine unit,
  • Navy Corpsman attached to Marine unit and received honorable discharge, medical discharge or killed in line of duty.

The student must also be a high school graduate and be planning to attend or is already in college. The family’s income must not be over $86,000 annually and have a 2.0 grade point average. The scholarship can only be used for undergraduate degrees, with it being the student’s first degree.

Application deadlines are set each year, and interested applicants should check www.marine-scholars.org to see current deadlines. The link to apply for this scholarship can be found here or here.

Those who meet these same eligibility requirements can also be eligible for the Heroes Tribute Scholarship, which offers a total funding of $30,000 to the student over a four-year period. The only difference in the requirements for this scholarship is that the funding requirement is waived. This funding is primarily for the children of Marines, former Mariners and Navy Corpsman killed during terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001 or who have been killed in combat since then.

National Health Service Corps Scholarship

This funding opportunity is offered once a year to students enrolled in accredited programs to be trained in a health profession. The programs that are eligible include:

  • dentistry,
  • family nurse practitioner,
  • certified nurse midwife,
  • medicine, either MD or DO,
  • physician assistant.

Students can either apply before starting school or after they have completed a year of study.

When applying, the student must submit an application online, uploading various documents. Each application must be turned in before the deadline or it will not be reviewed. The student will need to turn in information regarding:

  • evidence of being a U.S. citizen,
  • resume,
  • school verification and any evaluations,
  • essays from prompts,
  • transcripts.

Winners are given priority if they have financial need or are a former NHSC scholar. You can sign up for an e-mail notification of next year’s scholarship by following this link.

Texas Armed Services Scholarship Program

This grant funding supports students to join the Texas Army National Guard, State Guard, US Coast Guard, Merchant Marine or the Texas Air National Guard. It also supports Texas students to become officers in any branch of the United States Armed Forces. Two students are chosen by the governor and lieutenant governor, while each member of the senate and each representative can appoint one student.

In order to apply, the student must:

  • be graduating from high school within the Distinguished Achievement Program or International Baccalaureate Program
  • have an SAT score of 1590 or ACT score of 23
  • have a minimum 3.0 grade point average
  • rank in highest 1/3 of graduating class

After being nominated, the student must agree to take four years of ROTC training and graduate from college within six years. Once graduation is achieved, the student must serve four years in one of the above-mentioned service branches and be contracted to serve as a commissioned officer. While in college, the student must also meet academic requirements for that school.

The award totals at least $10,000 a school year. If the student doesn’t meet the requirements, then the grant automatically becomes a loan.

When applying, the student will need to contact his or her legislator in order to do. This is done by visiting www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us. The governor’s office can provide further information at: governor.state.tx.us/appointments.

Those selected will be sent a notice, which is then given to the school’s financial aid office. The office then sends in a notice of program eligibility after it is verified that you are enrolled at the school and in the ROTC program. Once this step is completed, you will then be able to complete the application found at www.hhloans.com.

You can also contact Loan Services for further information at www1.thecb.state.tx.us/, or by calling 512-427-6340 or 1-800-242-3062.

The Top 10% Scholarship Program

This grant funding opportunity is intended to support students who are in the highest 10 percent of their graduating class to attend college. Students who are eligible must meet the following requirements:

  • be a resident of the state of Texas
  • have a financial need
  • complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid or the Texas Application for State Financial Aid
  • be in the top 10 percent of class at graduation from accredited high school
  • enroll in a two- or four-year Texas public college full-time
  • finish the Recommended or Distinguished Achievement high school curriculum

Students can get up to $2,000, but there may be a bonus if the student decides to major in an area where there is a critical shortage of workers. This includes areas such as teaching, nursing, engineering, math, technology, science and allied health. The bonus can be $2,000, but students may not receive more than $4,000 for funding.

In order to receive the bonus, the student must maintain a 3.0 grade point average, enroll full-time and attend classes at least 75 percent of the time. The same requirements are in place for the student to renew the funding in the next school term, except that they must have a 3.25 grade point average to renew.

The application process is handled through the Texas state financial aid or federal financial aid application. For more information, students can visit www.collegeforalltexans.com or www1.thecb.state.tx.us, or call 1-888-311-8881.

Tuition Equalization Program

This grant funds opportunities for students with a financial need to go to private colleges that are not-for-profit in the state. The award amount cannot be more than the student’s financial need, but can be up to $5,277.00 for those with a family contribution that is less than or equal to $1,000. To be eligible, the student must be:

  • a resident of Texas or non-resident National Merit Finalist,
  • able to prove financial need,
  • enrolled in a degree program at a private, not-for-profit college,
  • completing 24 credit hours a year,
  • maintaining a 2.5 grade point average,
  • required to pay tuition higher than that at a public college,
  • registered for Selective Service, if male,
  • not receiving a sports scholarship.

The application is done by filling out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid. If the award is granted, the school’s office of financial aid will notify the student. For more information on the program, visit www1.thecb.state.tx.us.

Edward S. Roth Manufacturing Engineering Scholarship

This funding is offered to students at The University of Texas who are working towards a bachelor’s or master’s degree in manufacturing engineering. The scholarship is also offered at other select schools around the United States.

The student can be a senior in high school or be currently enrolled in college. Those students who can show a financial need, who are taking part in a co-op program or who are from a minority group will be given the highest priority.

The funding awarded totals $1,000. Students must have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 and be a citizen of the United States in order to be eligible. For further information, see the contact information below:

Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME) Education Foundation
One SME Drive, PO BOX 930
Dearborn, MI 48121

Mary E. Bivins Minority Scholarship Program

This grant opportunity supports those wanting to become Christian ministers to obtain an upper-level bachelor’s or graduate degree in preaching. Those intending to become pastors will be given the highest priority. In order to be eligible, the student will have to meet the following guidelines:

  • must be a junior college year scholarship is given,
  • maintain a grade point average of 2.5 for undergraduate work and 3.0 for graduate work,
  • must be permanent resident of northern 26 counties in the Texas Panhandle either for last 12 months before applying, employed in area 12 months before applying or returning student,
  • must attend college full time,
  • enroll in an accredited college.

The only exceptions for residency are for those who served in the Peace Corps or in the military in the period of a year before applying for the scholarship. The committee awarding the scholarship has to approve the course of study when the application is added. Students cannot have a double major and be eligible for the scholarship.

Junior and senior college students are given a total of $2,500 in funding. Those in graduate school can receive up to $3,500 a semester. Those interested can get further information by contacting:

Linda Inks
Scholarship Program Officer
Bivins Foundation
301 S. Polk, Suite 160, PO BOX 1727
Amarillo, TX 79105-9404

Application Tips

Each of these scholarships have detailed, specific requirements and instructions that you should carefully follow to ensure that your application will be considered. One of the most important things that you can do is start early. When applying, get and read all of the material that applies to a scholarship, noting the deadlines on a calendar. This helps you keep the myriad of dates organized and easier to follow.

If you have to furnish a writing sample, start working on it and carefully proofread it. This is the first impression that a committee gets of you, including your professionalism, seriousness to learn, attention to detail and writing ability. Put your best foot forward to make yourself more competitive. It also helps to someone else proofread it for you. The best place to find these services is through your school’s tutoring service, teachers and writing center.

Get you application in early, as soon as possible. This shows that you are punctual, are prepared and are ready to take on the responsibility that comes with higher education. Many scholarship committees will not even consider applications that come in after the deadline. You should also make sure that you have all necessary supporting documentation, including financial statements, transcripts and other paperwork requested well ahead of the deadline.

If you are prepared, are willing to take the time and apply for a variety of these opportunities, you will have the greatest chance of pursuing further education in the state of Texas. There are a number of scholarship opportunities in the state, encompassing a number of majors and areas of interest. With a little time and hard work, you can secure the funding you need to go to school.

12 Responses to “Texas College Grants”

  1. james alridge says:

    i am looking for grant money and looking for a way to apply to as many grants as possible

  2. Michael Ranson says:

    I’m looking for grants to help me pay for my chosen Carrer as a surgeon. Please let me now if you are giving grants away.
    My Email is ransomic21@gmail.com

    Thank You

  3. Maria says:

    Im currenly looking for grants to help me in my upcoming college year.
    i would proudly like if you help me out.

  4. Dalton may says:

    Im looking for any grants that can help me achieve a career in chemistry.
    I am currently a senior of high school and i want to accomplish a masters or Ph.D of science.

  5. Ashley says:

    I’m currently looking for grants to help me in my upcoming college year.
    I’m hoping if you could help me out.

  6. Lalasha Yarborough says:

    23yrs old been taking care of my mom who is disabled veteran. She has been encouraging me that it’s my turn to Shine and go for my dreams. I really my creative side and making people feel beautiful. I have chosen to go to Mims beauty College. I’m looking for grants to help me get through the financial burden of school. I’ll like to apply for as many as possible but i also realize others need it too. I would just like to get my share to help me accomplish this goal of cosmetology school and start my own Salon. So if you know if any grants please email me. Keoniegrl@gmail.com

  7. Lois says:

    I am pursuing a bachelors in psychology, and need assistance in finishing this goal.
    I would appreciate any help in finding grants and scholarships for women.

  8. joshlynn hamilton says:

    i am looking for grants to help pay for my first year of college. i currently have 27 dual college hours and hope to obtain more during the summer but i need help fast my deadline is june 30.

  9. casey says:

    I need help with college grants for my senior. Something to do with agricultural. Shes president for FFA and officer.

  10. Luann uhler says:

    My son needs a grant he is going to central Texas college to be a welder

  11. Melody says:

    Mature older woman with undergrad degree outside state unemployed with low income spouse with lots of work experiences in health care in Canada. My biggest dream to be PA in Tx need assistant to pay for pre requisites courses in college then transfer the credits to university to complete MPH program ( in overall 3 years program)I am not citizen in USA yet without financial help i wont able to go throw this plan. My main goal to merge to job market in state in near future and serve those in need in the community and less fortunate population as a qualified PA.

  12. Ashley Ware says:

    I am a first generation college student and have been an independent since age 16 after being legally emancipated. I am also a cancer survivor. I was diagnosed with Stage IVB cancer in January of this year shortly before starting my 2 semester as a sophomore. I had to leave school and return home because of this diagnosis. I am wanting to continue my education after a year of fighting for my life, but, now that cancer bills are coming in – things are getting tough and college is looking less possible financially.

    I am going to TSTC to study chemical dependency counseling.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

College Grant Information By State