Posted by henry
on Jan 27, 2012 in Education
| 0 comments
Attending college for the first time is an exciting, yet daunting, prospect. College students have a lot more freedom than high school students, which means they can make their own decisions. This is a double-edged sword, as many new college students are not used to taking responsibility for their daily schedules and their academic achievements. Developing good study skills is one of the best ways to achieve success in college and create a bright outlook for the future. Developing good writing skills and learning how to take tests will help college students get the best grades possible, improving their chances of winning scholarships or getting hired for good jobs immediately after graduation. Success in college also depends on good time management. When a college student manages his or her time well, there is enough time for studying and socializing. Poor time management makes it difficult to balance the academic demands of college with the desire to have a social life.
These resources offer practical information and tips on developing good study skills. Some of the resources include templates to help students plan their schedules or record their study time. This list of resources also includes articles on giving presentations, conducting research, and preparing for life after college. All of this information can help college students succeed in school and after graduation.
- Taking Lecture and Class Notes: This resource from the Dartmouth Academic Skills Center offers tips for taking notes in class. This page also offers handouts for students to download.
- Sharpen Your Note-Taking Skills (PDF): This guide explains how to take notes effectively. One of the tips offered is to use a three-ring binder instead of a spiral notebook, as this makes it easier to add or delete notes.
- Five Note-Taking Methods (PDF): This resource outlines the five different note-taking methods typically used by college students.
- The Cornell Note-Taking System (PDF): This guide explains how to use the Cornell note-taking system to take notes effectively.
- Note-Taking Overview: This resource explains why note-taking is important.
- Guide to Grammar and Writing: This site contains information about developing good writing skills. It also offers interactive grammar quizzes for students who need to improve their writing skills.
- Writing Tips: This article includes 10 tips for good writing in college.
- Writing in College: This in-depth guide contains information to help college students develop their writing strategies.
- How to Write an Abstract: This article explains how to write an abstract for a research paper.
- Collection of Writing Tips: This page links to dozens of tips for writing college papers.
Preparing for the Future